Mooqla Barbie

Shake that Jackass for me

Jackass 3D

Jackass 3D

There’s only a week left in the Blockbuster Super Blogger competition where, if I win, I get flown to the Cannes Film Festival to cover red carpet premieres and other assorted awesomeness. So, besides me desperately asking for you to click on my page and give me page views, I also thought I’d share this review I did on Jackass 3D for the competition.

Poo. Cocktail. Supreme. If that doesn’t sumup Jackass 3D for you, then I don’tknow what will. Ringleader Johnny Knoxville is back with his rag-team of Jackassers including Bam Margera, Steve-O, Chris Pontius, Dave England,Wee-Man, Ryan Dunn, Preston Lacy and Ehren McGehey. It’s clear from the number of dick shots, fart jokes and general frat-boy behaviour, the Jackass lads are in a state of arrested development emotionally. Sad thing is, so too are a lot of people. Like, $50,000 000 worth – the box office figure for Jackass 3D’s opening weekend in the US alone.

Now these paragraphs I would usually spend giving a brief plot overview and breaking down the filmmakers intentions and techniques but, well, as anyone who has seen either of the two previous Jackass films or TV series knows, that’s not necessary. There is no plot, no character development, no wider comment. Instead you have 94 minutes of the rag-tag Jackass crew performing semi-amusing pranks, stupid stunts and even stupider scenarios where the sole aim is to hurt themselves, hopefully in a suitably dramatic fashion captured by the vomiting-camera men. Okay, sure, I did chuckle at the Invisible Man stunt and midget brawl, but there’s only so many times you canwatch a man get hit, kicked or bit by a wild animal before it gets tedious. And that is a sentence I never saw myself writing.

Point is, with Jackass you fall into two categories; you either find it a riot or you don’t. I’m in the latter category. But I will give credit where credit isdue and despite all the Electric Avenue’s and Bee Hive Teetherball’s, Jackass 3D features some of the best use of slow-motion 3D. Used to greatest effect on the opening and closing credits,the super slow-mo shots of the lads getting punched, shot and hit with every manner of colourful materials is actually, visually, really awesome. In the end, Jackass 3D is best described byteam member Chris Pontius; “It had danger, it had shit, it had vomit, that’swhat the show’s all about.” Erm, right.