Mooqla Barbie

Kornerd Spring/Summer 2016 Collection: Part 2

“Wolves in the Sea and the Desert in Me”

After travelling through Europe, South America, and Asia, Kersch returned to his seaside hometown of Manly on Sydney’s Northern Beaches and decided to start designing again, initially with a pop-up retail project he called The Oblique, which sold his and other local designers’ wares.

“After taking a break like I did, it was so refreshing to be making pieces again – and with my own store I wasn’t worried about invoices or buyers and it allowed me to do my own thing and be creative again. It reminded me how much I loved doing what I am now doing again and led me to think about making a collection again.”

Kersch makes a welcome return to the Australian fashion fray as seemingly much matured and focused in both his approach and aesthetic. There is an underlying nomadic look to his creations which could be seeded in the designer’s recent wanderings. He is doing things his own way and on his own terms with his first collection in two years limited to only 50 of each piece and available online and through 10 select retailers in Australia.

Unlike many designers these days, Kersch personally oversees production and the hand-finishes on his garments’ dying, washes and jewelry. Accompanying the apparel are rings and pendants of wood, brass and silver, and a range of rubber-soled casual desert boots in nubuck, burnished brown and stone-washed leather.

With his new range Kersch tows the line between disheveled, grungy hippie sensibilities and a restrained, organic finesse. As the collection’s title reinforces, the tonal palette shifts between cool ‘oceanic’ blues and grays and warmer desert hues, muted green and an infusion of deep reds and oranges inspired by the ore-laden Australian outback.

“I think all designers leave an imprint of themselves in their work. I would say this range is a reflection of how I have changed over the last few years. In many ways I am not as naïve as I was first time round. I feel I now see things from a different perspective and have grown to value or appreciate much simpler things in life. I am definitely having more fun with it this time around.”

See the collection.

Photos & text Copyright Kornerd.